Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Campmor Rocks!
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ann and I looked at paddles when we were picking up the kayaks at EMS and all the ones they had were very expensive... while I concede that paddles are important, neither of us is planning to race or go on a long expedition, so we don't really need the latest carbon-fiber ultra-lightweight paddle designed by engineers who used to work for NASA or JPL. Especially at something approaching 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the kayaks...

I checked Campmor, a fantastic source for outdoor supplies and found paddles with an adjustable shaft for a very affordable price. Ordered them yesterday morning, paid a very reasonable $7 shipping, and came home today to find them on my porch.

Now do you see why I say Campmor rocks?

(As an aside - are you listening, Nashbar and Performance Bicycle? Your service is great, your sale prices can be a real bargain... but $9 or so for shipping that takes 1 1/2 weeks leaves a lot to be desired.)

Don't know that I'll want to use this paddle forever... it's feels bulky and the three-part shaft (that's what makes it adjustable) adds what I suspect is a good deal of weight. But it will be fine as a starter paddle, and I can upgrade later on if I find myself spending a lot of time on the water.

Now if only I could find an affordable roof rack that actually fits a Honda Civic... so far the only ones that might work will end up costing more than the kayak did. Sigh.

JMH