Saturday, May 31, 2008

Plans Just Keep On A' Changin'
No NIPMUCK for Me
Friday, May 30, 2008

Up until this morning, I had planned to go to NIPMUCK on Sunday and run as far as I could before DNF'ing. If nothing else, it would be a fun run with a great bunch of people and more experience on the course, even though I know there isn't a prayer that I can run a marathon right now and go the distance.

This morning, though, I put together all the pieces of this weekend - especially the many hours of work I need to do to get closer to being able to wrap up my 2007-08 classes - and in light of that considered (1) getting up at 3:30 AM Sunday morning, after a week of very little sleep, (2) putting in roughly 5 hours on the road (and not even counting the 4-6 hours I'd be running), and (3) spending $30-$40 on gas and tolls... just to go run a race I know I won't complete. And where I'll probably feel substantially bummed out that I didn't get off my backside and train enough to finish.

So maybe I'm making a sensible well-reasoned decision or maybe I'm wimping out... but in any case, I'm going to stay closer to home on Sunday and maybe even sleep in a bit!

There's always next year... sigh.

JMH