Wednesday, July 16, 2008

THE YEAR OF THE DNS
No Grand Island Marathon for Me
Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A tough decision, but I think the right one... I barely finished the Nipmuck Marathon in 2007 and I was much better trained than I am this year. So Grand Island would have most likely been a miserable slog at best and a DNF at worst. Add in a lot of driving and a decent amount of money for rooms, food, and so on... and the trip to Michigan seemed to be making less and less sense.

For whatever reason, I just don't seem to have the motivation to pursue long distances this year... so I think I'll spend the rest of the year focussing on what I think of as mid-distance (10-20 miles) and see if I can build up a good base for some longer distances next year.

I've already found an alternate to Grand Island... that weekend I'll be heading to Erie, PA, for the Discover Presque Isle Duathlon. Should be a good time, and a good distraction from being bummed about deciding not to go to Michigan.

JMH