Sunday, August 31, 2008

GREEN HERONS GALORE
26.4 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Sunday, August 31, 2008







After a failed attempt to get a haircut (I got there just after they closed) I headed over to the Niskayuna Lions Park for another spin on the bike path. Started out thinking I'd head west and tackle some hills, but the trip up the hill along the old landfill convinced me otherwise, and I ended up heading over to the end of the path in Cohoes instead. (Ironically, the first couple of miles coming back from the end of the trail is a long uphill climb... not terribly steep, but it does go on for a while!)











Since it was getting towards evening, I once again saw lots of bunnies alongside the path, and as usual I had several sightings of blue herons and white egrets. The real surprise tonight was the number of green herons I saw. A couple of days ago I had spotted one perched offshore at the Lock 7 boat launch, so when I saw one there today I did my best get as close as possible to get some photos... and in the process spotted two more out in the weed-choked lagoon hunting for food. On my way back I also spotted three more out in the weed-covered channel that connects to Lisha Kill to the Mohawk River. Definitely a record for most green herons spotted in one outing - even during some of our paddling trips this summer I don't think Ann and I have spotted more than two or maybe three.















JMH