Monday, September 08, 2008

18.5 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Monday, September 8, 2008

It felt good to get out on the bike and get the blood moving in my legs. Though I did find it a bit of a bummer that it was almost completely dark when I finished and it wasn't even 8 PM...

Didn't see any beavers tonight, though I did watch a heron for a bit and saw quite a number of wood ducks, including a pair of males in full plumage (for much of the summer they were in molt and hard to distinguish from the females.) I also watched a group of what I suspect were cedar waxwings swooping around catching bugs - their maneuverability is incredible!

Tonight's ride also left me wondering - why do people set out riding at dusk wearing dark clothes? Even on a bike path, that's just foolish. Fortunately it was cool enough by the time I turned around on the far side of Rotterdam Junction that I was able to use my neon-yellow jacket... while I didn't have a light, I suspect people could see me a good ways off!

JMH