Saturday, September 13, 2008

21.1 Mile Ride at the Corning Preserve & Schuyler Flatts Cultural Park
Saturday, September 13, 2008

After two days of relative inactivity (I'd actually planned to go for a run on each day, but first lack of time and then both lack of time and rain derailed those plans) I finally got outside for a bit of a workout... didn't feel like driving any significant distance, so I headed down to the river to ride through the Corning Preserve. I tend not to ride there much as the season progresses - the path is only a bit over 4 miles long, so even with side trips to Schuyler Flatts and down to Hudson Riverfront Park, I have to ride laps to accumulate any real distance. But tonight it fit the bill... nearby and fairly easy riding.







After the last couple of days of cool temperatures, today's warm humid weather was took a little getting used to... fortunately riding generates a breeze. (Though my glasses tended to fog up whenever I stopped.)





Along the way I had a great view of a cormorant perched on some branches just offshore... as I rode by he had his wings spread, but then he tucked them in when I stopped to take some pictures. Also spent a couple of minutes watching a heron in the small inlet just past the entrance to the preserve... but by then it was getting dim and it was tough to get good pictures. Of course, one advantage of the sun going down... even downtown Albany looks decent all lit up in the dark!







JMH