Friday, October 03, 2008

6.2 Mile Run Along the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Friday, October 3, 2008

I covered the Friday night class at the karate school, so I wasn't able to get out for a run until long after dark... but what a great night for a run! Not too cold (once I got going and started generating some heat) and a crystal-clear sky with stars visible everywhere. Wow! All it needed to make the night even more complete was the coyotes howling across the river in the Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve

Another thing that made this a fun time - two friends were in town and were actually able to come out with me on their first night running adventure. I haven't done a "training" run with anyone else for a long time now, and while I wouldn't want to do that all the time - I like and need my solitude a bit too much for that - it was a lot of fun to have them along and talk a bit during the run. And it definitely made the six miles go by (seemingly) a lot faster.

I was feeling pretty good at the end and contemplated going out for another half hour or so... but decided to be conservative instead (I do have a 20k trail run coming up on Sunday morning) and hung around in the parking lot for a bit chatting with my friends while they did their best not to be too obvious that they were freezing. Don't know when we'll get a chance to run together again - but tonight was definitely a good time and a great way to wrap up the work week.

JMH