Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A PRE-THANKSGIVING TRADITION
9.1 Mile Run at the Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

At least, it's a tradition if doing it for the last four years makes it one... the first year Ann was in Australia and I enjoyed a great run in the Pine Bush on a warm sunny day. Since then I've gone for a run the day before Thanksgiving - the p[ast two years at Thacher Park and this year at Vischer Ferry.

For the most part it was a cold, grey day... a tough day to get inspired about running. Didn't help that for the first few miles it seemed like most of the wildlife had abandoned the preserve... then I saw ducks, a muskrat, and I think a mink, and I reached the thickets where apparently the birds were hanging out - chickadees, cedar waxwings, robins, cardinals, titmice, bluejays, and a few others I couldn't identify. That helped raise my spirits a bit... I almost always enjoy watching birds.

I ran out to the parking area on the river and spotted a few more birds along the way - some type of raptor, a blue heron, and a pair of mergansers that flew off the moment I came into view. During the run back along the towpath between the old canal and the wetlands, birds were all over the place... many ones I had seen earlier, but also a couple of woodpeckers.

And at one spot I saw signs that beavers have moved in... freshly gnawed trees and what looks like the beginnings of a lodge.

As traditions go, it's pretty low key... but it's a nice transition from the normal work week on Tuesday and the hustle and bustle of Thanksgiving on Thursday.

JMH