Sunday, March 01, 2009

TRAVELLIN' TURTLE, Part 7 -
The Long(ish) Road Home...
Sunday, March 1, 2009

One of the pluses to today's race being held at Pineland Farms - I was able to use the locker room at the YMCA to change into street clothes for the drive back to Albany. Unlike the trip out, the drive back was almost entirely on highways... easy driving, but not terribly interesting...

A storm was making its way up the east coast, so I hoped to get back inland before it hit ME, NH, or eastern MA... no such luck, I had snow showers for much of the drive through Maine and New Hampshire, though I drove out of the storm as I headed across MA. Nothing much was sticking to the roads, though that didn't stop half a dozen cars from going off the road or ending up in fender-benders.

Historically, bandits and brigands used to lurk along secluded sections of the trails and roads between cities and towns and waylay travellers, giving rise to the term "highway robbery." I think I came across a new definition of the term today... almost $15 for two turkey sandwiches and an ice cream cone at the first rest stop I came to in Maine. Sigh...

Once I finally got home, I had to deal with the other reason I was hoping to beat the storm... my bike was covered with road salt and needed an heavy-duty cleaning. So I manhandled it into the shower, gave it a good dousing, and then wiped it down before rinsing it a second time. Not the most convenient method of cleaning it, but it beat taking it to a self-service car wash and paying to hose it down.

JMH