Saturday, April 11, 2009

LONG DISTANCE 2009 - Race #3
Northern Nipmuck 16mi Trail Race
Saturday, April 11, 2009

The short version: Well, Northern Nipmuck did kick my backside, but it didn't make me cry like a baby (though there may have been some non-baby-like swearing involved - only the trees and rocks really can say...) On the positive side, it didn't kick my butt as badly as in 2006 and 2007... though Mother Nature did her best to help that infernal section of the Nipmuck Trail, dropping increasing amounts of rain during the whole 2nd half of my run with falling temperatures to boot (there was snow mixed in with the rain as we were waiting for Bill and Konrad to finish.) Fortunately I had a jacket and gloves with me, so any hypothermia I suffered was minor. Finished in 4 hrs 54 min... not a PR for the course, but I felt like I ran much more consistently throughout the course than in 2006 and 2007 (when I ran the first half fairly well and then dragged myself up and down all the hills back to the finish.)

The long version: coming soon...

JMH

2009 Event Totals
Run 34.6 mi, 8 hr 16 min
Bike 6.2 mi, 39 min
Snowshoe 54.6 mi, 13 hr 05 min

XC Ski 3.3 mi, 1 hr 2 min

states visited: CT, MA, ME, NY, RI, VT