Thursday, April 16, 2009

MORE "HABITAT RESTORATION"
6.3 Mile Run in the Albany Pine Bush
Thursday, April 16, 2009

After too many lazy days I finally got out for a run tonight before class... hit the Madison Avenue Pinelands/Great Dune trails. The first few miles were tough... legs felt full of cement and I just couldn't quite catch my breath, possibly because of the warm (60's) temperatures... but it was still great to be out in the sunshine and warmth!

There was a sign at the trailhead that the Great Dune trails will be closed until the end of May for "habitat restoration" and on my way back to the car I passed the logging equipment... I wonder how much they'll be stripping this time. I'm beginning to think they intend to make that section match its name... I felt a bit sad as I ran through some of the woods, wondering if it was one of the last times I'd be doing so...

On my way out I passed a large noisy group of runners... guess I got out just in time! While I definitely enjoy running with friends every now and again, there's no question that solitude is my greatest preference for running!

JMH