Saturday, July 11, 2009

Another Weekend of Missing Races
Saturday, July 11, 2009

Though this time it's as much a matter of timing and circumstances as it is my sore knee... I probably could have handled running the Moonlight in Vermont 4 miler tonight (albeit substantially slower than I ran it last year) but between getting back from our trip to the Berkshires after 9 PM, the rain and thunderstorms blowing through the area, and wanting to spend some quality time with Ann tomorrow before she heads back to Rochester - it just didn't make sense to make the two hour round trip to Pownal.

The other one I had been hoping to do this year was the Forest Frolic 15K out in Virgil... I've been wanting to get back there since I ran it in 2007, and this year I briefly entertained the plan of running at midnight in Pownal, then making the drive out to Virgil, sleeping in the car for three hours for so, and running the trail race before continuing on to Rochester. That plan fell by the wayside when Ann said she'd be coming down this weekend both to get a chance to teach karate and spend some time with me... and somehow I didn't think she'd appreciate the suggestion that we leave for Rochester at 4:30 AM so I could stop and run a race along the way...

Next weekend's Bear Creek 21k trail race in PA is still up in the air... while I'm pretty sure I'll be able to run, I'm not so sure I'll be able to handle 13 miles of trails... I'm hoping to get out some early this week and assess both the state of my knee and my endurance.

JMH