Sunday, September 20, 2009

ON THE ROAD AGAIN, Part 7
Montezuma is for the Birds
Sunday, September 20, 2009

Since my route up the western shore of Cayuga Lake took me right by the Montezuma NWR, I couldn't resist stopping to see the wildlife. I pretty much repeated my last visit, first heading over to the May's Point Fishing Access where I saw two herons and a group of Cedar Waxwings and started donating blood to the voracious mosquitos. Then I stopped at the viewing platform for the May's Point Pool, which is mostly drained (so not much to see there!) While I was in the parking area I did see a large number of cormorants flying back and forth, so I walked across route 89 to the creek and took some pictures of them perched in the trees.

The only other place I stopped was at the Tschache Pool viewing tower, which offers a spectacular view out over the Tschache pool. While I was there I saw lots of ducks and Canada geese... nothing too unusual (unlike last time, when I saw several grebes.) Other than the hum of traffic from the Thruway off in the distance, it was very peaceful, and I had a tough time tearing myself away for the 3 hour drive back to Albany.

JMH