Sunday, October 18, 2009

NOT-SO-LONG DISTANCE 2009 - Race #27
Jensen Stables Ultimate XC Challenge
Sunday, October 18, 2009

The short version: This was definitely a good choice and a "keeper" for my race schedule. We had fantastic weather, with beautiful views from the hilltops. Some parts of the course also move this up into the ranks of my "craziest race" list... while mud and water crossings are no longer enough to earn a spot on that list (even the thigh deep water crossing and well over ankle deep mud this course offered) - climbing over rolls of hay, running down mountain bike trails that include jumps for the crazy fools that usually ride there, and using a rope to pull myself 30 m through a very cold pond, submerged up to my chin, definitely are. A tough but fun course with some unique challenges... even though it took me slightly over 2 hours to cover 8 miles (I missed a turn and added a little distance) I had a good time. But next time I have to figure out a way to bring my camera along (and not have it die a watery death crossing the pond.)

The longer version: coming soon

JMH

2009 Event Totals
Run 259.8 mi, 64 hr 24 min
Bike 58.6 mi, 4 hr 29 min
Snowshoe 54.6 mi, 13 hr 05 min

XC Ski 3.3 mi, 1 hr 2 min

states visited: CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, PA, RI, VT