Monday, February 08, 2010

0.4 Mile Walk at Ann Lee Pond
Monday, February 8, 2010

I wasn't going to go to Ann Lee Pond today, between the cold and what would probably be a decided lack of wildlife at the frozen pond... but I was practically there already, so in the end I decided to stop and take a few pictures of the pond in the winter.

The area by the pond is fairly open, with a wide clear corridor that runs down toward the airport, and the wind was whipping through. I ended up wishing I'd worn thicker gloves fairly quickly - my fingers were aching in moments.

Not much to see at the pond itself, and it was too cold for me to walk back to the crazy bridge and see if any critters were out and about in the swamp. But I did spot a hawk in one of the trees a ways off, and as I was trying to sneak over toward him to get some better photos, another one came soaring in and they both took off. They flew back over a couple of times, at first using thw wind to gain some altitude and circle the area overhead, but then they caught some good gusts and took off like rockets. It must be pretty incredible to be a hawk soaring on a windy day.

JMH