Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Sigh... More "Habitat Restoration"...
5 Mile Run in the Albany Pine Bush
Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Headed over to the Blueberry Hills (aka Columbia Circle) section of the Pine Bush for some running this evening, and managed to get in a mile or so before it got dark enough that I needed the headlamp. Definitely a nice change!

Unfortunately, when I got to the Blueberry Hills West trails there were signs warning of trail closures, so I knew what was probably ahead - more Pine Bush "habitat restoration", which typically consists of huge swathes of trees being cut down and the ground cleared of all but a few native trees, in an attempt to get rid of invasive species (black locust seems to be the main target) and eventually return the area to a more native habitat. I understand and can even support the principle - the Pine Bush habitat is environmentally unique and under 20% remains "wild", with the existing sections fragmented by roads and development. So I can see the need to preserve the original habitat as much as possible.

At the same time, I lament the loss of some beautiful woods, even if they consisted primarily of non-native species. And in this case, not only have the woods been razed, but doing so has removed the trees blocking the view of a large industrial complex adjacent to the Pine Bush. Another section that I have loved running through because it was filled with an abundance of twisted, ganrly little trees looking like something out of a fantasy novel is now being cleared, leaving behind bare slopes. The Pine Bush Commission has really stepped up its efforts in "habitat restoration" over the last few years, including a recent "thinning" of a section of native pines (almost all of the trees were removed) and I sometimes find myself wondering - in a few more years will there be any woods at all to visit there, or will it all be open dunes?

Oh, well, I guess I should be grateful there are plenty of other wooded areas for me to run and walk in around here and appreciate the fact that the Pine Bush is there at all (and open to recreational use.) And I am... but there are times when I really miss the woods I've been running in for almost 10 years now.

No critter sightings tonight, though I did see more than a few tracks in the light layer of snow that covered a lot of the areas I ran.

My legs are definitely feeling the effects of over 12 miles in two evenings... I had hoped to do one more short run tomorrow night but instead I think it will be a rest day, since I have a fairly active weekend coming up.

JMH