Tuesday, February 02, 2010

7.6 Mile Run on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It was surprisingly damp and chilly during my run on the bike path this evening... must have been a precursor to the storm that moved in as I was driving home. The clouds also made it quite a bit darker than it has been the last few times I was over there, and at times I was glad I brought a light with me.

I ran west from the Niskayuna Lions Park to Blatnick Park at the top of the old landfill. The path was clear over to Lock 7 Rd and then had a mix of a few very icy spots - so much so that I thought I'd have to turn back and finish my run in the other direction - and a light layer of snow. I kept my light on most of the time through the stretch between Lock 7 Rd and Blatnick Park just to make sure I avoided the ice, but for the most part the footing was fine and the snow was a nice break from pounding along the pavement.

The view from the top of the landfill was nice, with the frozen river stretching off into the darkness, light occasionally by lights of nearby houses, Lock 7, and the power plant. It was a much quieter night than last Wednesday - the ice and water have basically settled, so all the crunching and cracking noises weren't there. No beavers at the start, but I did hear one out on the ice gnawing away when I got back... unfortunately my light wasn't strong enough for me to see him.

Best of all, I upped my distance a bit again, without any bad aftereffects. I don't know if I'll be running any marathons this year, but I should definitely be able to be ready for half marathon distances by the end of March... a good thing, since I'm already signed up for one in April!

JMH