Friday, February 05, 2010

FIRST RIDE OF 2010
11.2 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Friday, February 5, 2010

My original plan was to go for a walk after work, but then I got to thinking about how clear the bike path was... and next thing I knew I was pulling on riding gear and loading my mountain bike on the car.

Good thing I chose the ATB, because the minor storm we had mid-week left a thin layer of snow and ice in spots along the path, but nothing knobby tires couldn't handle with a little care.

I rode out to Lock 7 and then over to the waste water treatment plant. Passed a few folks walking and one fellow riding, but since it was a grey chilly day there weren't too many people out and about. I heard the usual suspects - robins, chickadees, and cardinals - but didn't spot any, they were doing a pretty good job keeping under cover. A raft of ducks flew overhead while I was at the lock, and a couple of times I saw bunnies and a red squirrel go scampering off into the bushes as I approached.

I took it pretty easy overall, between having a race tomorrow and not having been on a bike for two months... but I definitely need to start putting in more time pedaling, what with my first du of the year coming almost a month earlier than usual...

JMH