Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Seasons by Hal Higdon
Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Recently I've been reading (among other things) Hal Higdon's On the Run from Dogs and People, a collection of articles he wrote in the 1960's about his experiences running, back in the days before the running boom in the 1970's. Overall it provides an interesting and rather humorous look at running back before it became such a popular thing for the average everyday person to do. This evening I read what I think is not only the best article in the book, but also one of the most eloquent expressions of how runners experience nature year-round (at least if they run year-round!) It's titled Seasons and fortunately, Hal Higdon has included it on his website as an excerpt from the book. Go and read it... it's wonderful. I only wish I could express myself half as well as he does in this piece.

Higdon includes a ton of info on his site, everything from training plans for all manner of distances to articles about a variety of subjects and samples of his artwork (while he's best known as a runner he's a pretty multifaceted guy!) He also sells signed copies of his books. All in all it's well worth a look.

JMH