Sunday, July 04, 2010

17 Mile Ride on the Erie Canalway Trail
Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ann was marching in Chili's 4th of July parade this evening, so after I dropped her off I headed over to the canal path for a short ride... just as well it was short, because my legs were definitely feeling yesterday's efforts. I rode from the Public Safety Training Center to Pittsford and back. Not many people on the path today, presumably due to the holiday. When I rode through Brighton they were setting up for the evening's fireworks display; funny thing is, I remember doing the same thing last year (except it was later in the evening and I was a little more worried the path would be closed when I came back... today it was early enough that they were busy putting the fuses in all of the fireworks.)

Heard lots of catbirds, of course, and spotted a cardinal, a mockingbird, and an oriole fairly briefly. Not as many ducks in Pittsford as I'd expected, and it looks like the ducklings hatched early there too, because I didn't see any of the fuzzy little guys. Didn't have time to check them out more closely, because I had to be back in time to pick an up after the parade and I rode a little further than I probably should have...

JMH