Wednesday, February 02, 2011

What a GREAT Winter So Far!
Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lately I've listened to a lot of people complaining about how rough this winter has been and I just have to say - I think this is probably the best winter we've had since I started snowshoeing in December 2005! Plenty of snow for skiing and snowshoeing, none of our races cancelled due to lousy conditions... it's been great! And looking around at everything coated in white, with massive icicles hanging from the eaves... that's got to beat brown and grey.

Now I realize that the top weather-predicting rodents, Punxsutawney Phil and Staten Island Chuck, both predict an early end to winter. Far be it from me to go up against two such formidable marmot meteorologists, but I say phooey on that! Let's see a good old-fashioned winter with snow until late March!

(Besides... Phil and Chuck may have been playing it safe. After the succession of storms that have buried the northeast in snow over the past few weeks, they may have been wary of the backlash from calling for six more weeks of the same. And was I the only one who didn't know that there are dozens of weather-predicitng woodchucks out there giving forecasts on February 2?)

JMH