Friday, March 11, 2011

A BEAUTIFUL EVENING FOR A RUN!
8.7 Mile Run on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Friday, March 11, 2011

Despite a forecast of clouds and rain all day, this afternoon turned sunny and warm... and the chance for a run was simply too good to pass up. A run in shorts, not tights... no gloves, just a regular cap instead of a winter hat... wonderful!

Unfortunately the bike path is still covered with snow and ice except on the Gerbil Wheel, so that was what I ran... from the Niskayuna Lions Park down to Lock 7 and back, then a second lap down to Lock 7 Road and back. And I have to say it felt pretty good.

Birds were out and about the whole time... numerous red-winged blackbirds, some grackles, cardinals, and plenty of little guys I never saw well enough to ID. Plus loads of geese and ducks off in the water-logged farmer's field about 2/3 of the way down the path.

I've have a great time snowshoeing and skiing this winter, and I hope to get some more snowshoeing in over the next two weeks... but I'm really looking forward to spring weather and getting back out on the trails again. This is the first winter since I started running regularly again back in 2005 where we haven't had a single stretch of time without snow covering the trails so that I could get out for a trail run in my screw shoes, and I think the break has been good for me... but now it's getting to be time to start building up miles. The end of May and the beginning of July will be here all too soon!

JMH