Sunday, April 03, 2011

It's Amazing What You Can See...
Sunday, April 3, 2011

... rocketing along the NYS Thruway at 70 mph...

Catching sight of multiple red-tailed hawks during the drive is a fairly common occurence, though they can still surprise me - like the time I saw six of them sitting on the fence between the road and Montezuma NWR over the space of about a mile.

Today I was pleased to see that the herons have returned to the rookery just east of the Junius Ponds service area... not only were there herons on many of the nests I could see but there were also herons flying to and from the nests - inlcuding one that flew low enough over my car that I wondered briefly if I was going to hear a "thump" on my roof...

And as I was driving past Montezuma NWR I caught a glimpse of a bald eagle sitting in a tree overlooking one of the pools near the Thruway... yet another time when I really wish there was a safe way to stop and take pictures!

JMH