Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Sleeping Through the Platte Clove Mountain Run
Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I had planned to drive down to West Saugerties tonight and once again run the 1st run in the Catskill Mountain Spring Series - a relatively flat mile followed by 2 miles up the steep and winding Platte Clove Mountain Rd, through an area called the Devil's Kitchen. The road is sufficiently steep and treacherous that in the winter the twon closes it because it's too dangerous to plow. I've run Platte Clove twice - well, I ran the 1st mile and then power-hiked the last two miles - and I always enjoy the atmosphere of the three series runs: low-key and a lot of cameraderie among the runners.

Instead I came home and decided that between being exhausted and having quite a bit of work today - a nap followed by an evening working made more sense than spending most of the evening driving, running, and then driving again. A shame really - the cool weather might have helped me run better than I have previously. Then again, given how my legs felt going up the stairs at work today - maybe not.

JMH