Friday, August 19, 2011

TURNING A TRAFFIC JAM INTO A POSITIVE OPPORTUNITY
3.5 Mile Walk at Verona Beach State Park & WMA
Friday, August 19, 2011

I started getting warnings about the NYS Thruway being closed due to a vehicle fire just past Canastota not long after I got on the highway this afternoon, so I planned ahead and got off at exit 32, figuring I'd hop on Route 5 and avoid the mess. Not a bad plan... until the point between Sherrill and Oneida where 5 became a parking lot due to all the other traffic that diverted there. I crawled along for a little while, then decided to try heading north to Route 31 instead... which worked nicely until I caught up with all the backed-up traffic there as well. Fortunately, I was only a few miles from Verona Beach State Park, so I headed there for a rest stop (since I get free admission to the park with my Empire Passport.) While I was there I decided that if my trip west was going to be seriously delayed, I might as well enjoy myself instead of sitting in crawling traffic being aggravated, and headed out on some of the 14 miles of trails in the WMA across the road from the park.

more to come...