Saturday, March 10, 2012

HEADING SOUTH ALONG THE HUDSON
0.5 Mile Walk at the Four Mile Point Preserve
Saturday, March 10, 2012

On my way south I had hoped to stop at Sickles Creek, where there's a hemlock grove that sometimes contains owls - but between not being entirely sure where it was and the pull-off next to the creek being a muddy mess, I decided to pass and kept on the Scenic Hudson's Four Mile Point Preserve in Coxsackie. Four Mile Point is a fairly small preserve, with a platform for viewing a small pond/wetlands, a short uphill walk to an overlook, and a downhill path to a picnic area with views up and down the river.

The pond didn't offer much to see, though I did hear birds calling off in the surrounding trees. The uphill hike was a bit more reqarding - a Coopers Hawk was perched on the railing around the overlook, though he didn't stick around long. Down along the river, I had some nice views of the water - but again no wildlife.

JMH