Saturday, March 10, 2012

HEADING SOUTH ALONG THE HUDSON
2.2 Mile Walk at the RamsHorn Livingston Preserve
Saturday, March 10, 2012

My last stop before heading to Connecticut was the RamsHorn Livingston Sanctuary, another Scenic Hudson property with an extensive system of trails - and a very cool observation tower. I ended up walking the trail around the perimeter of the sanctuary, and while I didn't see anything spectacular, this was probably one of the most productive stops of the afternoon - many red-winged blackbirds in the wetlands, and I'm pretty sure I heard both a blue heron and a grebe somewhere out of sight down the creek. I also spotted what looked like a very large nest in the woods - probably just a squirrel's nest, but possibly a much more interesting hawk or owl nest. I also got to hear the first stirrings (to me, at least) of spring peepers off in the wetlands. A bit early, calendar-wise, but not that surprising, given the warm weather we've had recently.

Best of all, I had a really nice walk to wrap up the day, before heading to my plush accomodations at the Danbury-Bethel Days Inn...

JMH