Tuesday, July 31, 2012

2.3 Mile Walk at Five Rivers EEC
Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Never quite got my act together to get out on the bike today, so this evening I decided to wrap up July with a visit to one of my favorite places - Five Rivers.
















As always, lots of critters to see. A couple of highlights:

a group of cedar waxwings using the old oak that fell into the Heron Pond as a staging area for their swooping flights around the pond. Cedar waxwings are not only very striking birds, but they also always look to me like they're having a good time with their aerial maneuvers.












































a mob of mallards, also in the Heron Pond... I have to wonder if that's the female and her youngsters, though it seems awfully early for the males to have gotten their colors - so it's probably a different group.

















two of the beavers, munching away on the plants that are overgrowing the Beaver Pond

















a downy woodpecker banging away at the wooden side of the visitors' center

bunnies, bunnies, and more bunnies


















Toward the end of my walk the almost-full moon was getting brighter and brighter... I really hope we have clear weather and I have enough energy to do the Moonlight in Vermont race Saturday at midnight...




















JMH