Monday, July 30, 2012

Technology, Technology...
Monday, July 30, 2012

I think I've finally fixed the conflicts on my new PC that were causing BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) crashes... at least, it's been stable for the last two days, and I've reinstalled the software that seemed to be triggering the crashes.

Unfortunately, my old scanner is now useless. There are no Windows 7 drivers for it, and I have no way to connect to it from the Windows XP virtual PC, where I can load drivers and software for it. So I'm going to end up buying another scanner... thank you, Microsoft and Visioneer, for forcing me to retire a perfectly good piece of hardware.

A few years ago I went to the store to replace the battery for my portable phone, and discovered that the battery cost almost as much as a new phone. So I purchased a new phone instead, and it's driven me crazy ever since, because it has no headset jack and the shape of the handset makes it almost impossible to tuck it between your shoulder and ear to free up both hands while talking. This afternoon I tried using it and discovered that one of the buttons is toast. So today I shelled out the money for a new portable - this time from a pricier brand, so hopefully it will work better and last longer than the crap one I bought last time.

JMH