Saturday, September 22, 2012

BAD TIMING...
Rochester Marathon Unlikely for the Turtle
Saturday, September 22, 2012

The signs were certainly there... last night my easy ride was much tougher than it should have been, and I was ready to fall asleep by around 8:30 PM... this morning I woke up feeling generally crappy and went mildly downhill from there. Nothing too drastic, but there's no question my body's trying to fight some sort of bug off.

There was a time when I would have said no big deal, I'll just run a slower time... but the reality is, if I haven't made a miraculous recovery by the end of the day, running the marathon tomorrow is a bad idea because (1) I probably won't finish (not a distaster, but it would be really frustrating, and would also involve complicated logistics of Ann coming to get me somewhere along the course and then getting me back to my car near the finish - and the area near the finish is nuts) and (2) I stand a good chance of walloping my system enough that whatever this bug is will take a really solid bite out of me and I'll end up being either really sick or sick for an extended period of time, or both.

It's particularly frustrating because in the last day or so I reached a point where I have been really looking forward to running on Sunday.

Sigh...

JMH