Friday, June 21, 2013

SUMMER SOLSTICE
1.1 Mile Walk at Buckingham Lake
Friday, June 21, 2013

While it was tempting to spend the longest day of the year at home like a lump, feeling sorry for myself about my knee... I did manage to finally get my backside out the door for a walk around Buckingham Lake right before sundown.

I had hoped to do 2 loops (only a mile and a half, for heavens sake) but I underestimated the extra time and effort it takes with a marginally functional knee. So I settled for one loop and a little bit, in attempt to at least get 30 min on my feet.

Along the way I finally spotted a mother mallard and her brood of mallard munchkins... either 6 or 7 of the fuzzballs. I'm a bit surprised that there only seems to be one female with ducklings, given all the ducks that hung out here last year... though I suppose it's possible there's others still nesting.

Unfortunately, today marks the start of decreasing hours of daylight... at least there's a while yet before it really becomes noticeable. I like being able to go outdoors at 8-9 PM at night and still have something resembling daylight...
JMH