Thursday, July 04, 2013

12.7 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Thursday, July 4, 2013

I really wasn't sure I wanted to ride again today - my legs felt pretty tired from the last two days - but I'm not sure what I'll be doing tomorrow, so I hit the bike path for what I planned as an easy ride... of course what should be easy rarely is...

Today I started out heading east for a change, looped around on the road to the water treatment plant, and headed back. The trip over to Lock 7 was uneventful. Not a lot of traffic on the bike path, probably due to both the holiday and the heat/humidity. Even the lock area was pretty quiet - I would have figure there would be lots of trailers at the boat launch, but there was nobody. Stopped to check out the high water levels over the dam (though it has gone down noticably since Tuesday) then headed on my way... except as I was leaving the parking lot it became clear I had a flat on the rear wheel. Aaargh!

It is a lot easier to change a flat when there's a picnic table handy, so in that regards I lucked out. Changing the tube was relatively easy (I've had lots of practice over the last few days) and I was riding again fairly soon. Except... "bump, bump, bump"... which I put up with for the mile or so to the base of the hill up the old landfill, where I stopped, deflated the tube, reseated the tire, and pumped it back up. No sign of problems on the ride back to the car... hurray!

I had thought to try a short run today to test my knee, but my legs (and the rest of me too) are feeling tired enough that I think I'll wait until tomorrow.

JMH