Monday, October 07, 2013

RAINBOWS & A SKUNK
2.8 Mile Walk in the Pine Hills Neighborhood
Monday, October 7, 2013

A monsoon blew through late this afternoon, after a day of tornado watches and thunderstorm warnings. I was fortunate to get out of work and to my car during a lull in the downpour, but really didn't feel terribly motivated  to try a short run.

Instead, I dragged myself out the door for a walk around the neighborhood... if nothing else, it gave me a chance to test the Frogg Toggs rain poncho I picked up a little over a month ago. Except... it barely rained while I was out! But the poncho did work well during the couple of spells of light rain... and it kept me warm.

Despite that, I was glad I went walking, though I wish I'd brought a camera... shortly after I left the house, the setting sun broke through the clouds and cast a gorgeous double rainbow over downtown Albany. Some of the most brilliant colors I've seen... absolutely beautiful. And then a while later, when I was on the short wooded path between Main St and W Lawrence, a skunk crossed the path a little ways ahead of me. Like many of the skunks I've seen around here, he had a broad, shaggy white stripe that covered his entire back, and he didn't seem the slightest bit perturbed that I was on the path...

JMH