Monday, February 02, 2015

NOW THIS IS A SNOWSTORM...
Monday, February 2, 2015

About 8-10 inches when I went outside this morning to fill the feeders, and it was still coming down pretty steadily... we picked up another 6-8 inches during the day. Unbroken snow was almost knee deep when I went out for a walk.



(My car, after about 12 hours of snowfall...)

Of course, the bad news is the roads and sidewalks are going to be a mess for a while, because the city really doesn't have anywhere to put the snow when they plow (and my street doesn't typically rate actual snow removal like the main drags do) and most of the people around here are inconsiderate morons when it comes to clearing around their parked cars (shovel it into the street, onto the sidewalk, or into adjacent parking spots) and their sidewalks (shovel it into the street where cars should be parked, including against cars if they happen to be parked there.) I don't really get it - when I clear the front walk, it really isn't much more effort to throw the snow into the small yard in front of the house - but maybe that just means I'm not as lazy as I sometimes think I am.

The birds went crazy at the feeders... I had the usual enormous mob of sparrows, but also a group of about 20 crows, several blue jays and starlings, some mourning doves, and a couple of juncos. Ended up filling the feeders three times today... I guess a foot of snow makes it tough to find what little food is still out there in the middle of winter.






JMH