Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A BRIEF TEASE OF SPRING
0.8 Mile Walk at Buckingham Pond
1.8 Mile Walk on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Warm (well, for March) and sunny when I left work... 2nd day in a row. I had planned to get out for a run today but the legs were feeling tired, so I did some walking instead.


 

Since I'm trying to visit Buckingham Pond at least once a month I headed there first, figuring the path would be pretty well stomped down by now. Boy was I wrong about that. I spent about 3/4's of the loop slogging through very wet snow, including a couple of sections with a layer of cold slush under the snow. Can't say I felt any motivation to do a 2nd loop, so I called it quits and headed over to the bike path instead.




That was much easier walking, though it was getting chilly by the time I go there. But I still had a fairly pleasant walk along the Mohawk, with more than a few birds putting in appearances. The real treat was the first red-winged blackbirds that I've seen this season.




Unfortunately, this weekend it's supposed to be cold and sleeting/raining... both a reminder that spring isn't here yet and a reason to cancel my trip to RI this weekend. As much as I'd like to run the Brrr-lingame race Saturday, 10 miles in sleet or cold rain is unappealing, especially with a 6 hour round trip to get there and back - and little opportunity to visit some of my other preferred stomping grounds down that way, since it's supposed to rain all day. Maybe next year...

JMH