Sunday, September 06, 2015

LOTS OF HERONS & EGRETS
12.7 Mile Ride Along the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Sunday, September 6, 2015

Only one heron in sight in the old canal on my way out, but when I got to the section on the west side of Rotterdam Junction, I spotted three herons and a trio of egrets. Of course, the latter means summer is truly ending, since I don't typically see many egrets around here until they migrate back through to wherever they go south for the winter.




On my way back east, there were two herons and a pair of green herons in the old canal. Not as many wood ducks in sight - I'm guessing that as they get more mobile (ie. can fly better) they spend more time under cover.





The "new" crossing at route 5S looks like it could actually be a big improvement - mostly because they've installed user-activated lights. Of course, drivers will still need to actually pay attention to the lights - and we'll see if they hold up to local vandals (because there's inevitably going to be those.)


Legs were grumbling after only a dozen miles of very easy riding... I'm definitely not healthy yet... but still much better than the past few days.

JMH