Monday, September 07, 2015

SLOW GOING IS BETTER THAN NOT GOING AT ALL...
7 Mile Run at Thacher Park
Monday, September 7, 2015

And very slow going it was, between being a bit tired and wobbly still, some gunk in my lungs that is still loosening up, and a left knee that was grumbling loudly during my walking warmup (but thankfully behaved itself during the run.)

I parked above the Haile's Cave picnic area and headed out on the northern trails - a bit of the ILTR15k course, then off to the old quarry and looping down past the High Point overlook and back on the Long Path and mountain bike trails. Spotted a few riders heading in as I was changing clothes, and passed a few hikers coming from the opposite direction in the first mile or so - but after that didn't see another person, just the way I like it.

The knee worries me a bit - it's acting like my right knee did a few years back, just before it went out completely and took the better part of a year before I could do much running again - in fact, in a lot of ways I'm still coming back from that injury (hindered by getting sick last fall and aggravating my knees repeatedly this summer doing non-running stuff like moving furniture and boxes around.) So I guess the lesson is - pay attention to it and do what I can to not have it end up like my right knee, even if that means further setbacks to my running plans this fall.

Despite that, it was great to be running at Thacher, especially considering the condition I was in less than a week ago.

JMH