Sunday, February 28, 2016

TOO WINDY & TOO TIRED...
7.7 Mile Ride Through the Corning Preserve
Sunday, February 28, 2016

After pushing the pace in two races in the past 36 hours, I knew my legs wouldn't be up to much... but it was sunny and in the low 50's when I got home, so I took the bike down to the Corning Preserve for the first ride of the year without tights. (Hurray!)

Unfortunately the wind was pretty strong and in my face as I rode from the boat launch over to the ampitheater. (My dislike for former Albany mayor Jerry J. is strong enough that I refuse to refer to it by it's given name... maybe someday someone will fund some massive improvement/refurbishment and the name can be changed.) Good news for when I back and out into the preserve - the strong tailwind had me flying along almost effortlessly at 13-14 mph. But I knew I would be paying for it on the trip back, and decided to turn around 3 miles from the boat launch rather than going all the way to the end of the path. That was definitely a good decision - I struggled to maintain 9-10 mph all the way back, and my legs spent the whole time letting me know they were not happy to be doing more work today.

JMH