Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Roc Du, Where Are You????
Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Last year I signed up for the Rochester Duathlon in late May, didn't check the weather forecast before heading west, and found myself heading into race day with warm weather gear - when the temperatures were going to be sub 40's with rain and high winds. Common sense prevailed and I decided to bail on the race and live to do it another year. So I was quite pleased when I noticed registration being open for the 2016 edition, way back in March.

Today I went looking for race day info - and the race has vanished. Active.com shows me registered for it, but doesn't show a listing when I search for race registration. The Rochester Triathletes (the race organizers) site shows no indication that the race ever existed. All I can find is a mention on a couple of other race lists, all of which point back to the Roc Tri site.

I'm assuming it's been cancelled so - why no e-mail? Why no announcement on the Roc Tri site? I've got to say I'm not impressed at the lack of communication on this...

On the plus side - an olympic length du would have been a real struggle, so it's probably just as well, and at least this way Ann and I will get to sleep in and spend Sunday morning together.

JMH

Update - I finally found it - in the archive for the Roc Tri google group. After that I also thought to check their Facebook group and it was announced there as well.  Of course I'm not a member of either group... Looks like it was cancelled last week, but at least I'm supposed to get a refund - a rare occurrence on the racing scene. But really, would an e-mail to folks who pre-registered have been that difficult to do?

Update#2 - Got the check yesterday, a group e-mail today, and a phone call as well. All good, and it tells me that I will probably try to do this one again in the future, if they decide to hold it again.