Monday, May 30, 2016

STRANGE COINCIDENCE
Monday, May 30, 2016

Six years ago I ran Highland Forest and after the race found myself searching for a repair shop because the warning light for my charging system was on... turns out the alternator in my 2003 Civic was going bad. Fortunately I was able to get it replaced before getting stranded somewhere.

Two days ago I ran Highland Forest and the next day, my car wouldn't start. We jumped it easily using Ann's vehicle and a long drive in the afternoon seemed to get the battery recharged to the point where the car would start with some hesitation... except yesterday after a short trip to fuel up it once again refused to start. So I pulled the battery and we took it to Advance Auto to be tested - all they could say for sure was that it needed charging, but given that it's 4-5 years old, I decided to invest in a new battery instead of making another trip there after trying to charge it. So far that seems to have solved the problem.

Granted I've run Highland Forest on two other occasions (the trail race... I've actually run at Highland Forest half a dozen other times, including several times on snowshoes) and had no apparent issues with the starting/charging system of my car, but the timing on this is definitely bizarre.

JMH