Monday, June 06, 2016

DRAGONFLIES & A NESTING KILDEER
17.8 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Monday, June 6, 2016

Before heading out for my ride today I completely dismantled the bottom bracket, greased the heck out of all the threads, tightened the cartridge as much as I could, and put a different pair of pedals on the cranks. The result of all of this - no more annoying squeal when I put heavy pressure on the pedals. It's nice to have a quieter bike again.

I was pleased to see a number of dragonflies along the path... not only are they incredibly cool to watch, but they also eat mosquitos.

I found the kildeer in the midst of the rocky drainage area next to the dog park parking lot up in Blatnick Park... and after a bit managed to get a few glimpses of the eggs she was hovering over, which look amazingly like stones. With luck we'll have some fuzzball mini-kildeers up there before too much longer.

Legs were definitely feeling the effects of the last week (I've either run or ridden every day of the last seven, with three races this past weekend) but they were definitely usable... I wouldn't bet on my doing anything too strenuous though. I suspect tomorrow's longish run is going to be a challenge...

JMH