Sunday, June 05, 2016

Slow & Steady 2016 - Race #13
SRTC SkillsUSA 5k Road/Trail Race
Sunday, June 5, 2016

I've said it before - I hate 5k's. But even with that, this was a good race. Nice course - mostly on dirt and paved trails, with a bit along Sanford's main street. The dirt wasn't as easy as I'd hoped - if I ever do this one again I'll wear my Vasques like I did yesterday for the du. Well-marked, and some really nice scenery - I actually considered walking part of the course to get pictures afterwards, and might have if it hadn't started raining (or I might have run it a 2nd time if this hadn't been my 3rd race in 38 hours.) Great weather - after yesterday's sun and humidity, today was overcast and slightly chilly. Lots of volunteers, and raising money to help fund a trip to the national SkillsUSA competition for the regional winners. And most amazing of all - I was the only guy 50-59, so I had an extremely rare age-group win. Got a nice certificate and a bag of homemade cookies baked by the RD's wife (who also ran the race and won some of her own cookies by being 2nd woman across the finish line.)

I wouldn't make a special trip to Maine just to run this one again - but I'd do it again if I was going to be in the area for something else.

JMH

2016 Event Totals
Run 110.4 mi, 27 hr 18 min
Bike 38.5 mi, 3 hr 0 min

Snowshoe 6.2 mi, 1 hr 39 min
Kayak 0 mi, 0 min

states visited: CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, RI