Tuesday, July 05, 2016

END-TO-END-TO-END, Year 1
17.8 Mile Ride on the Old Erie Canal State Park Trail (Chittenango to Lenox Basin)
Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Picking up where I left off riding on Friday night, I was hoping to do 23-25 miles today - but between the heat and dust, and my legs feeling the effects of yesterday's 27+ miles, I decided to turn around at the Lenox Basin parking lot. Just as well, too - for much of the ride back I was just looking forward to being done.

At this point I have about 20 miles left to ride in the Old Erie Canal State Park (or 40 miles, since they'll be out-and-back rides.) Probably two more rides, though it might end up being three.

Spotted some big fish in the old canal, a trio of kingfishers, and a gaggle of Canada geese... in other words, nothing unusual for riding along the old canal in July.

I do like the wider tires on the stone-dust path... I won't set any speed records, but it definitely feels more stable than my narrower road tires. Too bad both sets of wheels are bolt-ons and not quick release, but then it really isn't that much of a hassle to swap them.

JMH