Friday, July 01, 2016

END-TO-END-TO-END, Year 1
23.3 Mile Ride on the Old Erie Canal State Park Trail (Dewitt to Chittenango) & the Limestone Creek Trail
Friday, July 1, 2016

It's been about three years since I last rode the path through Old Erie Canal State Park east of Syracuse, and apparently some changes have taken place. When Ann and I were in the area in mid-March, we saw that a connector trail had been built along Limestone Creek, a bridge had been put in at the old aqueduct near the Dewitt parking area, and it looked like a new parking area was being built at the Burdick St crossing. Tonight I was surprised to find out that the path has been paved all the way from Manlius Center Rd to the parking area in Dewitt. While I miss the slightly softer stone dust, it's definitely easier to ride on the paved path.

After riding to the Dewitt trailhead and back (with a side trip along the Limestone Creek trail) I headed east to Chittenango Landing before heading back to the car. Overall it was  pleasant evening and it was good to ride there again after a few years. I may try to get out on the rest of that trail before the end of the summer.

JMH