Friday, October 14, 2016

A PEACEFUL EVENING IN THE PARK
6 Mile Run at Saratoga Spa State Park
Friday, October 14, 2016

There are some places that, when I go there to run, it just plain makes me happy... often I can't even explain exactly why. Saratoga Spa State Park is one of those places. I pulled into the parking lot tonight after a slow trip up the Northway (Friday rush hour traffic... bleah) and was just glad to be there.

I mostly followed the 5 mile trail, with a few deviations either to take it easier on my knees or to have a slightly more interesting route. I had enough light that I didn't need my headlamp until I got into the woods near the Columbia Pavilion, and I was able to shut it off again once I got back to the quad. I was a little disappointed that the owls weren't calling this time, but it was still pretty interesting to be there after dark, especially in the quad - I don't know that I've ever been there at night before.

Probably the coolest point of the whole run was coming out of the woods near the Peerless Pool parking lot and seeing a big, bright, almost-full moon over the trees. Apparently if the weather is clear it should be even more spectacular when it is completely full in the wee hours of Sunday morning. I'll hopefully be asleep, since I need to be up early to head to the Mohawk Towpath Duathlon that morning.

Yesterday I was feeling tired enough that I considered cancelling my hotel and making the full drive to Rutland tomorrow morning. I'm glad I didn't - tonight's trek around the park was definitely a good way to start off the weekend.

JMH