Friday, December 23, 2016

ICY UNEVEN PATH = SLOW GOING...
9 Mile Run on the Albany County Rail Trail
Friday, December 23, 2016

I spent much of my run along the unpaved portion of the rail trail thinking I should have ridden my fat bike here yesterday and run on the bike path today... the snow cover was very uneven, with almost none in a few open spots and then a couple of inches on some of the more protected stretches. Except the snow really wasn't an issue - it was all the uneven ice under the snow, where the first snowfall had been postholed by all the people walking through it and then froze that way. Very tough going overall, but I stuck it out all the way to the end of the line in Voorheesville, and found the trip back slightly easier, both because I was warmed up and because of the gradual downhill on the way back to Slingerlands. When I got back to the car I changed shoes and ran another mile on the paved path... that actually felt pretty good, and I would have liked to go a bit further, but my legs were definitely beat up from the last few days of running and riding and then the hard going during the first eight miles today.

JMH