Saturday, January 21, 2017

MORE EAGLES & LOTS OF MUD
5.5 Mile Run at Peebles Island State Park
Saturday, January 21, 2017

Instead of having to deal with ice and snow on the trails at Peebles Island, the challenge today was lots of thick mud. Ironic, since I was looking for a softer surface to run on - my knees have been sore since Wednesday's run.

I lucked out on my first time around the island and spotted a pair of eagles perched across the water near the dam on the western side. Nearby there is also a very large nest - when I was finishing up, I overheard one of the park employees saying that they were hoping that a pair would establish a successful nest there.

Lots of geese, gulls, and mergansers in the waters around the island, and lots of people walking, many with (big surprise) dogs.

Did something today I've never done before and ran on the two major trails that run through the interior of the island - usually I stick pretty much to the perimeter trail. One of the disadvantages to running at Peebles is the size of the park - it's tough to cover any real distance without running multiple loops. Running those other trails helped with that, and they had the added advantage of not being as muddy as some of the other trails.

JMH