Saturday, March 04, 2017

A COLD BUT GORGEOUS MORNING
5.8 Mile Run at Onondaga Lake Park
Saturday, March 4, 2017

I really dragged my heels getting out the door this morning, and in some ways that might have been just as well, because I'd been planning to head over to Green Lakes... but since I got a very late start I decided to go to Onondaga Lake Park instead, since it was about 15 minutes closer.

I was really surprised to find no one else in the parking areas, and it wasn't until I'd been out for a while that I encountered other runners and walkers. Which was great in a way because despite it being cold it was a beautiful sunny morning, with a dusting of snow on everything... I really wish I'd brought my camera with me. Lots of geese, gulls, and ducks... the geese were mostly hunkered down, probably to minimize the effect of the wind. At the southern end there was a large raft of ducks out on the lake - some sort of divers, probably ring-necked, though that's totally a guess since I couldn't see them very well.

The run back was a little less pleasant, turns out I had the wind at my back all the way out so heading back was a good deal colder, but nothing too bad - I've run in colder conditions, and I was dressed fairly well. Still, between the cold and the fact that Ann had probably already gotten to the hotel, I called it a morning when I got back to the car.

JMH