Saturday, January 13, 2018

Disappointing
Saturday, January 13, 2018

Woke up during the night to the sound of sleet and freezing rain, and then the quarter inch of ice got covered over by a very thin layer of snow by the time I woke up for good. Took me about 30 minutes to chisel my windshields free to drive to the store, after which I'd planned to go for a run on the rail trail - except it turns out I forgot my running shoes, and the surface was slick enough that I wasn't willing to risk it without the screw shoes. So no run today, hustled through a short walk instead.

On the plus side, while the bug I've been fighting and the weather conspired to keep me from going to Rochester this weekend (where I'd planned to run the Pineway Ponds 5 miler this morning and the Mendon Winterfest snowshoe race tomorrow) I'm feeling well enough to head north for the Cockadoodle Shoe 10k snowshoe race tomorrow, which this year is doing double duty as the World Snowshoe Federation North American Championships. Which mainly means the race day is more complicated than usual (because of the anticipated larger turnout, parking is 9 miles away and we take a shuttle to the New Land Trust race site) and there will likely be even more people than usual running much, much faster than I am... especially since this is only the 2nd time I've been on snowshoes this season.

JMH