Monday, February 19, 2018

CONSTRUCTION & MORE #*&*#!!ING ICE
4.4 Mile Run at Green Lakes State Park
Monday, February 19, 2018

The first sign I had that things were not going to go smoothly was signs warning about construction when I pulled into the park (one of my favorites in central NY.) Then I drove down the hill and discovered that the parking lot I usually use is totally torn up, and it even looks like they shifted the location of the park road. The eventual goal is a new environmental education center, which looks really sweet - but right now it's a mess and makes accessing the trail around the lakes very difficult from the west side of the lake - I tried cutting through the construction zone, got hollered at and redirected up the hill, where I finally found a trail through the woods that led me to the shoreline trail.

Fortunately I chose to wear my screw shoes (microspikes would have been better) because most of the trails were covered with ice. Toward the end of the run I even took a trail up the hill the top of the ridge to get away from the ice. I am just really tired of ice at this point.

I had hoped to do two loops for 6-7 miles but between the construction, the rain that blew in about an hour after I started, and especially the ice I decided I'd had enough after one time around the lakes. I wait until nicer weather to do a longer run there...


JMH